Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Got the Abstract!

Yahoo! Thanks Sarah.

I don't want to violate copyright law, but here is a snipet of the article's conclusions:

A1AT protein expression is increased in preeclamptic placentas. This is the first demonstration that polymerized A1AT is present in serum and urine of patients with preeclampsia, and that this material is bound to placental vascular endothelium. This suggests that the polymerized A1AT may play a role in the pathogenesis of endothelial damage in preeclampsia.

Can I translate this into English words? Yes.

Warning: I'm not a medical professional nor do I play one on TV.

Alpha-1 proteins are sticking together (polymers) and "globbing up" the tiny blood vessels (vascular endothelium) of the placenta in patients with the Z type of Alpha-1. When a placenta doesn't work well, the baby does not grow well (intrauterine growth restriction, IUGR). In a pregnant mom, if the vascular system is screwed up, hypertension can happen. Also, blood vessels get leaky, and swelling occurs, more than the usual kind. Finally, the kidneys begin to spill protein. The kidneys are intimately involved in the vascular system. Hence, the nasty preeclampsia monster appears, as it did for me twice.

Busy, busy, busy, but thought some of my readers would be interested. If I get my hands on the entire article, I'll post more.

Looks like I'm hot on the trail of why I got preeclampsia...at least, I'm hot on the trail of the very intelligent, smarter-than-me researchers. LOL

No comments: