Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Three Years Ago

Three years ago, I was on full bedrest in our hospital's antepartum unit. It was day 7 of bedrest, and I had just passed my initial goal of making it to May 1st. We already had 2 April birthdays in our family, and I was hoping that there wouldn't be another arrival...an arrival way too soon for my liking.

My blood pressure was still climbing and I was swelling everywhere as severe preeclampsia was deepening its hold on me. I spent most of my time in a darkened room because I had had some uncontrolled twitching where my head jerked to my left side. My doctors didn't want me to have visitors except for my husband, and I couldn't have phone calls since the ringing would set me into twitching mode.

I was resolved to stick it out as long as I could, but I'll be honest. I was secretly hoping that the doctors would say, "it's time." It didn't happen that day 3 years ago, and yes, I did know that more time in utero is better. I knew that, but this was my 2nd horrible experience with severe preeclampisa. I was slowly losing my grip on my sanity as I stayed indoors in the dark, and this was day 7. My next goal was to make it to Cinco de Mayo, the 5th of May, and it looked like I might make it.

I had noticed that my baby was moving around less and less so I took it upon myself to poke him/her as much as I could to keep up the stimulation. This was beginning to bother me and the nurses were beginning to record decels on my non-stress tests and BPPs. My amniotic fluid was dropping off, and at the end of May 1st, 2004, I noticed that my vision was suddenly changing. Straight lines appeared squiggly to me, and I thought, "Oh no, it is happening again. This is what happened when I was pregnant with Gracie 2 years ago."

Gosh I was stressed out, but calm all at the same time. It was sort of a calm before the storm of Meghan's birth on May 3rd. Hind sight is always 20 20, but I hope that I did my best to take care of Miss Meghan that day.

1 comment:

Love Your Lungs Breathe For Life said...

Hi Jen,
My name is Lori Palermo from Gouldsboro, PA. On 26 Dec. 2003 my dad passed away from a 13 year battle with COPD/Emphysema. Since that time I have become very involved in Lung Disease work and Smokefree Living. In June 2006 I launched my own website In Memory of My Dad. I am now an Advocate for Lung Disease Awareness & Smokefree Living.
I think your story is very interesting and I would like with your permission to add it to my website. I have a "Family Sharing" page of Lung Disease patients or family members who have their own websites or blogs. There is alot of knowledge passed around.
Would you give me permission to add your BLOG?
My site is: http://www.loveyourlungsbreatheforlife.com

loveyourlungs@yahoo.com

"Welcome To My Little Corner Of The World" Blog by Sandy Grace

Thank you,
God bless,
Lori