Thursday, November 15, 2007

Life Insurance

Neither of my children can obtain life insurance. Well what I mean is that I have not been able to obtain life insurance on my children. They've been flat out denied because of their Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency.

I know that this can be a morbid subject for some people, but I've faced the idea that my children's lives are not guaranteed. Yes, I hate to even write that down. If I lost my children, I'm pretty sure I'd curl up in a ball somewhere and never emerge again. My only hope for life insurance policies for my girls would be to pay for funeral expenses. Money could never ever replace them or begin to soothe the emptiness I'd feel.

It has always bothered me that Gracie and Meghan won't be able to take advantage of the benefits of life insurance, though. I've even asked insurance agents if they'd write a policy that would cover my girls only if they didn't die from anything related to a complication of Alpha-1. Nope. Nada. Nothing. Denied.

Recently, my company went public. We have a new benefits package now. It includes dependent life insurance without proof of insurability. Voila! Kesa, Grace, and Meghan now have life insurance. Wow, how did that happen?