Wednesday, November 07, 2007

When It Rains...

It pours...

Gulp. My child is one of the children that most people in my city would fear. She has a staph infection that may be MRSA, but hasn't been cultured. She is taking antibiotics for it, and we keep it covered. We wash our hands, and we encourage her to wash hers often. Even with all of that prevention, she still got a huge staph infection. I don't know why. She just did.

Last night, Grace said, "Mommy, it feels like there are bugs biting me on the inside." She pointed to her back near her right kidney. I didn't think much of it at first since Grace is often in sensory overload, but I did tell her that if the "itchies" got worse to come find me in the night.

"Okay Mommy." Her sleepiness must have overruled the "itchies."

In the morning, I gave her 2 teaspoons of Bactrim as prescribed without thinking much about those "itchies." When she came home from school, the tops of her hands were flaming red sort of like a sun burn. I knew the drug made her photosensitive, but she claimed that she was wearing her mittens on the playground.

At dinner, Grace said, "Mommy, I'm really itchy." She scratched the sides of her torso up and down and said emphatically again, "I'm itchy!"

A light bulb turned on inside of me.

"Crap, she must be having a reaction to her Bactrim. Crap!"

I turned to my husband and said, "Great. Now, we have to take her to the doctor for a third time in two weeks." Don't misunderstand me though. I have no problem taking her to the doctor, but I feel like Gracie can't catch a break here. It really can't be fun to take antibiotics all the time.

MRSA, hmmmm?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor kiddo! It always does seem to pour when it rains, doesn't it? Hang in there - warm thoughts and prayers coming your way!