Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Juxtaposition

Today, I was late getting the girls up to get ready for school and was still at home about 20 minutes after I should have been. While ironing a very wrinkled set of pants for myself around five after eight, I heard a very loud "metalic" crashing sound almost as if something had fallen over.

I thought, "What the heck was that?"

I peaked out my window to look into our alley, but didn't see anything. I figured it must have been someone getting one of those huge metal dumpsters delivered, but then I thought, hey everyone has snow on their roofs so it can't be a roofing dumpster...strange. In any case, I quickly put the strange loud noise out of my mind.

Then, I proceeded to go about scurrying the kids off to school. When I arrived at work, my hubby had left me a message telling me to get online to see the huge explosion that had happened about 8 miles from my house.

The Falk Corporation complex here in Milwaukee which does metal forging, etc...literally blew up today. Two full city blocks are gone in the valley near Lake Michigan...when I saw the coverage on CNN.com, it looked like 9/11 again...they think it was just an accident with a gigantic propane tank. Thankfully, it sounds like an evacuation was in progress because of the smell of gas. It could have been much worse, but horribly, three people died and another 50 or so people were injured some critically.

It was upsetting to me that as I was chastizing my kids for being pokey, people were dying or literally running for their lives. I so very much feel for the families of those men who died...they all had young children and wives. Certainly, this makes me feel grateful for all of the blessings in my life, and I'll be praying for all of the victims of this tragedy.

It was very strange juxaposition at least in how I experienced it.

Please pray for the affected employees and families.

No comments: